After a series of storms in GGR lull

During the next communication session with the organizers of the race Jean-Luc van den Heede (Jean-Luc van den Heede) to elaborate what happened with his boat during a storm in early November.

It has now become clear that the situation was more serious than expected at first, because the boat rolls onto its side and almost flipped over the nose, “Vitkovice” in the wave.

Van den Heede in advance prepared for the worst, closed in the cabin, in the bunker, batten down the hatch and cleaned all the things. When the boat stopped abruptly and stern rose into the air, from blow yachtsman was thrown across the cabin. He was on the duckboards surrounded by various utensils. A little water got to the cabin, all things threw. The confusion was such that even a week later he still can’t find some items.

In a good scenario, in such situations, the boat leans to the side not very strong, and soon restores the normal position. But this time the mast went into the water, damaging the mount guys.

It is noteworthy that, no matter how cool the yacht wine cellar, which van den Heede arranged on Board, it seems, was not injured. At least he never mentioned it.

This weekend, van den Heede, may have to survive another storm. And two can wait for him near Cape horn, to which the Frenchman left to go 1300 miles.

Sailor fixed mast as possible, securing the lower shrouds on the bracket of branch above them, and goes at a speed of 5.3 per node. The main problem for him now is that he needs to go strictly associated courses so as not to damage the mast stronger. However, although the storm is hardly good news, it will allow van den Heede soon to go to Cape horn, without deviating.

Yet French sailor rejoices at the sun. According to him, November 14, it looked for the first time since the beginning of the month.

“Time to dry” — optimistic, he said.

While van den Heede supplies of vitamin D, soaking up the sun, Dutchman mark Slats (Slats Mark) at 1,500 miles the day before took on Board 30 liters of drinking water. To beat the Frenchman at the finish, the Slats need to constantly go at a speed on one knot more. At 8 am UTC on 14 November, the Dutchman was only 0.4 knot faster. However, now he has a small handicap, because the price of “return” van den Heede of Chichester class of steel penalty 18 hours, which will be added to his time at the finish.

Apparently, about how the Slats in the near future will be a little more information. He said that one of its transmitters had problems due to corrosion, but now it should again work properly.

The leaders of the race seems to be the only person in the last days it is possible to significantly advance towards the finish line. 1,500 nautical miles behind the Slats, in the heart of New Zealandrunning in the race for 3rd-6th places, respectively, Estonian Uku, Randmaa (Uku Randmaa), Briton Susie Goodall (Susie Goodall), American Kopar Istvan (Istvan Kopar) and Finn Tapio Lehtinen (Tapio Lehtinen) suffer from a lack of wind. However, they try to spend that time usefully.

Randmaa noticed that after cleaning the bottom of the boat from the overgrown carpet of seafood suzy Goodall began to catch up, and decided to follow the example of the girl. Estonian forgot to bring a wetsuit, so in turn went to the costume of spacebar. The work it very uncomfortable, and no mask for diving has been unable to compensate, but during the day Randmaa, according to him, managed to do about half the work. Goodall herself was trying to kite, but the wind it was not enough even for this.

Cleans the bottom of the boat from uninvited passengers and Tapio Lehtinen. The situation with mollusks is the same as that of Randmaa, and then he loses in the speed of the at least one node. In Hobart (Tasmania), he has fine-tuned the mast and rigging, for example, checked the fastening of the halyard to the mast top. Now it is time for sea ducks.

The Istvan Kopar is also enough worries. He did not manage to cope with the breakdown of the autopilot. During a stop in Hobart he almost cursed bad preparation for the race and a bad start. Because of the numerous breakdowns he does not even know the exact time and he has literally to do everything at random.

“I feel closer to Joshua Slokam (Joshua Slocum), who first tried single-handedly to get around the world in 1895-1898 years than to the winner of the Golden Globe Race of 1968-1969 sir Robin Knox-Johnston (Robin Knox-Johnston),” — admitted then Kopar.

In addition to technical problems, American problems with fresh water. According to him, African Ghana water cleaner than in his tank on Board. Perhaps that is why he got a rather serious health problems: the nails on his hands turned black and began to pull away from the fingers. The reason may be not water, but a fungal infection or fungus on the boat, but it makes little difference.

2.5 thousand nautical miles from the rest of the participants from the West of Australia has finally come to Aussie mark Sinclair (Mark Sinclair) and Russian Igor Zaretsky. However, while they also fell to almost a calm area. Sinclair has caught native radio and happily listens to home air. Most recently, he held the point from which in late October was evacuated Loïc Lepage (Loïc Lepage).

When Hobart last came Tapio Lehtinen, Sinclair had hoped to come on a check point on December 15. Most likely, from now on, he will go to class Chichester. In the tank with fresh water he was left with only 45 litres of water and before going through the Pacific ocean, it is necessary to enter the port and restock.

Igor Zaretsky, long time not seen the sun, so could not use a sextant, and hence to determine its coordinates.

“We have to determine the coordinates of the reckoning. But it’s complicated. No mechanical lag Igor left, they passed the Cape of Good Hope. Add to that the ocean currents and large values of magnetic declination” — reminiscent of the yachtsman in Facebook.

During the calm the Russians did a thorough job with your rigging and now waiting a change of weather. Judging by the forecast, this should happen in the next 1-2 days.

But what to do with shellfish, which occupied the bottom of his yacht, Zaretsky does not know.

“The growth is different. I went across the Atlantic, six months were. Well, the island… some rakushechki. And then the whole Bush! I did the first time I see this — this overgrown. And shrubs healthy! This hack is necessary, like with an axe” – he said at the time of communications by radio.

Clearing of this forest could take yachtsman week. In addition, while it is not clear where this can be done: the Bay near the island of St. Paul in Tasmania, which noticed Zaretsky, included in the protected area, so leave other people out there in this region, the organisms will be impossible.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *