We offer to your attention a great interview with Valeria Garashchenko, which, we recall, began at the end of 2019, the winner of the title “Yachtswoman of the year” and recently received the title of master of sports of international class.
– Not a secret, Lera, you’re from a sporting family…
Yes. Dad started kiting in 2000. He was at the time one of the first in the Urals. And soon I was born. Since childhood watching my dad’s passion at 10 years old I tried Windsurfing two years mastered winter kite, and in another six months -year.
– You just looked at dad and you wanted to try? Or dad explained to you, insisted that you need to do?
– Dad was hoping that I would want myself. It happened, I saw the kites every day and in 11 years have deliberately waited for the moment when they start to do. It happened in January 2013.
Is your eldest brother at that time already actively engaged in kiting…
He is older than me by 7 years, and the ride started at 9. By the time I’m ready to practice kite, he already had some sporting achievements.
– So, the brother started almost simultaneously with the Pope?
– A little later. Dad in 2000, brother in 2004.
– Who did you train when you take your first steps?
– I was always taught the Pope. Led me. And Artem has always been my emotional support (he’s a sports psychologist by training) always cheers before the competition.
You go to the start of both summer and winter. What elements you prefer – water or ice?
The last year or two I do combine summer and winter. Of course, it is not easy, but I like the constant change of conditions.
In fact, it just seems that kite in his hands – and no matter you ride on the ice or on the water. In reality, all different, all different equipment, a different feeling, a different feeling rig. And honestly, I still can’t say exactly what I like.
– You can’t say, “I’m leaving Snowkiting and will focus on the water.”
– I guess I can say this: summer kiting is a priority, and I will make more time for him than the winter. But winter is completely refuse.
– At what point did you realize that you would become a professional athlete?
– In fact, this moment has still not arrived.
– That is, until there is no awareness that you’re a professional?
– Probably, Yes. It seems that all those years my development was gradual and measured, without any race. First, the Pope quietly led me 7 years in the winter kiting, was a Russian competitions, then international. Then there was a transition to summer kiting on a professional team, which also went very smoothly and quickly. I always knew that will go in the summer – and everything will once again go slowly. Another thing is that now I am the master of sports of international class. And this is like a professional sport.
I treat my business very seriously, consider kiting with his life. But still not fully aware of himself as a professional.
– What means to you the title of master of sport of international class?
– I refer to it quite easily. In any case, this title is not for me is a heavy burden. The fact that I don’t put the win above all else. Although, of course, victory is what I seek and what you working on.
– What is your primary sport as such or reward?
– I have now something like a transitional moment. Before I always wanted it to victories. It was important to always be first. But this year realized that important as the result itself, but the path to this result, the process. I enjoy kiting and be every day on the water, feeling the water, the wind. Feel equipment. When something turns on the water, it is such a joy!
– Expect his career to combine with your studies?
– Right now I’m working on that. Where can I do correspondence courses or full-time? In any case, I will try to combine sports and studies, but more, of course, hits to the sport. In the next 4 years exactly.
– Where do you want to do?
In Lesgaft the faculty of physical culture.
In the future, I see myself as a coach?
Yes. I think Yes.
– The school “Krestovsky island” you’re little more than a year to train with Alexei Chibisov. How did you find each other?
Is all dad. Alex Denis by Tardini at the moment is a four years trained in Spain. Everyone knew that they are professionals. When it became clear that kiting becomes an Olympic discipline and came to realize that we need to move on the water, dad decided to put me in the team to Alex.
– Do you like working with him?
Very. Alexey, I think it is very cool worked.
– Kite for you work? You are to enter the water as obyazalovke?
– I’m always happy when I go out on the water. Think about the technique all the time – on the water, after water, before bedtime. This whole process has become an integral part of my life. And I accept it joyfully as a child.
– What maximum speed you’ve developed?
– 33.3 per node (17 meters per second).
– It is very fast. Wasn’t it scary?
I like it.
– Do not feel that any careless movement – and the shark is right there?
– It seems to me that in the boat at that speed even worse. Watching the yachts go in waves, and it is, from my point of view, it looks horrible.
– Speed overload do you have a feeling that the sail will rip from your hands, the Board will fly out from under your feet…
– Rare. This could be, if you go in heavy, ragged wind with a small sail. And plus, for example, high waves.
– Kiting is an extreme sport? Or is it relatively safe and extreme here in getting the adrenaline from the speed.
Is extreme sport. Kiting started with freestyle. There are jumps, various tricks, also there is a railing as a separate discipline. Of course, it was very extreme. Eventually the sport evolved, it appeared the race, which joined the sailing. In the race there is a certain extreme, but it is fraught with the speed that you develop.
– You are engaged in the races. Stunts are not mastered?
– No. But when I started to ride and worked on small boards for freestyle, I was jumping. Later went focused training process, when you had to specifically time hydrofoil, racing. Time for freestyle was not particularly. And I decided to go in the race.
– What do you expect from 2020?
– Actually a big part of the competition the kite is at the end of the year. In this case, for the period after the Olympics. This year I really want to spend more time on the water and slightly change your perspective on the training process.
– Kiting becomes an Olympic sport. Is there a purpose to get to the Olympics in 2024?
The Olympics, a whole Olympic cycle, and it all could change and change. But, of course, become a participant of the Games I want. And not just a party. I hope that all goes well.
PR-Department of the Sports school of Olympic reserve sailing “Krestovsky island”