"The result is always important"
The press service of the championship of Russia in the dragon yacht class, which ended today in St. Petersburg, worked at the highest level – thanks to the colleagues! Here is one of the materials they have prepared.
Before you – an interview with the famous yachtsman, skipper, navigator, sailing master, racer of international level, participant of three round-the-world races of Vladimir Kulinichenko. Actually, he has long been living in overseas St. Petersburg, but he spent the last few days in the city on the Neva River, speaking at the Russian Championship as part of the crew of Sergey Bakharev (RUS 84).
– Vladimir, you have such an extensive sailing biography. Transatlantic Racing, Around the World. What led to the "Dragons"?
– First, I really wanted to go back to where I started. And we all started in the Soviet Union. Russia, Ukraine – all this is close to us. Secondly, there was an opportunity to talk with old friends – with the same Sergey Borodinov, with the guys from the former Olympic team. There was no such opportunity before, and now Sergey Bakharev invited me into the crew. We train and race, including boating bigger than these: at the Bavaria Cup and so on.
– How high is the level of competition "dragons" compared with the years of your sports youth?
– We are now chasing a very high level. Here the first four boats of international rating take part in the races. We stand next to very strong racers, which raises the level of both regattas and the level of those who are in this company – they learn a lot. Even losing. For example, I am learning how to set up a boat, how to tactically fight. Here are very difficult wind conditions. Compared to what it was many years ago, there are a lot of houses set up, and from this there are constant winds. Now the rider needs much more patience than before.
– Did the “dragon” step far forward in terms of technical equipment?
– We are racing in the "classics", and our boat was made in the sixties. In some ways, it has now been improved, but the hull and the mast remain the same. Sails are more or less new, but not fresh. However, we try to compete. In one of the races, even one of the brands came first. And with Loginov we went near – his boat is very fast. Plus, the coaching staff helps, we have no such possibility. But chasing is still nice.
– Is there any envy of modern buildings?
– Absolutely not. I enjoy it from the "classics". I was chasing boats that were a hundred years old. In Cannes, Antibes, Saint-Tropez. I am very pleased that the old “classics” and other boats are being repaired at the shipyards in the Central Yacht Club. It is simply amazing how much love they have to do with it. People generally have to see the beauty in the sail. I was racing on the “flying keels” that really fly. Very interesting. But the classics can not be forgotten. This is our story. And in general, a tree is beautiful, warm. It is necessary to combine super-modern and classic boats. All the same, it's all a sail! All the same – hydrodynamics and aerodynamics, and everything is subject to the same laws. High speeds are no longer suitable for our age. The reaction is no longer the same …
– Maybe, as in skiing, divided into a ridge and a classic move?
– We, too, have different tests. In San Remo, in November there will be a big regatta in which the “classics” will start separately, and not in the general group, as we are now. If invited, we will definitely go. We are already considering this issue. Dates come up. I have this regatta wedged between two competitions.
– What will be the trip for you? Just plunge into the atmosphere of the celebration of the 90th anniversary of the "Dragon"?
– It will be necessary to attend the sports part. We are racers! Whatever you chase, even on a bath with a sail, it is still a sport: someone will be the first, someone will be the last. Therefore, the result is always important for us.
107 Yesterday # 9309