"I was happy to be alone"
Colleagues working on the #Esmeralda OK page published an interview with Abilash Tomi, taken after the # GGR2018 race.
– Who / what inspired you to this race?
– After my first round-the-world voyage, I was looking for an opportunity to go around the globe again, and that was when the race was announced. I jumped at this chance, because there were so many different challenges!
– What are the benefits of civilization you lacked the most?
– I really did not need anything. I was happy to be alone. But sometimes it bothered me that I could not talk to my wife, because we got married shortly before the race.
– What was the most beautiful place / moment during the race?
– In the race a lot of great moments. The most memorable – when, after many months of swimming, I met Gregor at sea. I never expected this to happen. It was also nice to see his face on Osiris after being rescued.
– Who was the most interesting fellow traveler / competitor in the race?
– I think everyone was interesting. I can not say that anyone was more interesting than others. Everyone had to go through a lot to just be there at the start. They had to leave so much to be there. And everyone has their own story of how they did it.
– Where would you like to go on a yacht right now?
– I would like to go on a new world tour!
– What was the most annoying during the race?
– We used to talk to each other on HF, and when the reception was bad, it was really annoying! There were several such days.
“When was the last time you had seasickness?”
– Probably, it was in 2011, when I sailed solo from Cape Town to India.
– What rule of the race would you like to change?
– The rule of compulsory providing the organizers of the race report every two weeks.
– Who are the potential participants # GGR2022 has a chance to become a leader?
– I have no idea at the moment. It will be interesting to see how everything will happen.
– What is the best design of the yacht?
– I guess it's Rustler.
– In the sea you listen to the same music as on the shore? If not, what's the difference?
– I rarely listen to music.
– If you were asked to draw your coat of arms, what / who would you have depicted on it?
-. Two huge wings. The vertical symbolizes the sail. Horizontal – the wings of the aircraft. And the sea below.
– What motto would you write under your coat of arms?
– The earth is round.
“Swallows, anchors … what kind of tattoo does a yachtsman who finishes at GGR deserve?”
– Golden circle.
– How did you celebrate the intersection of the equator?
– I did not do anything!
77 Yesterday # 9169