The championship of Russia-2019 in the class of yachts SB20 completed. Stormy weather did not allow organizers and athletes to scheduled competitions on Saturday and Sunday, so the results of competitions are summed up in the first two days of racing.
© Elena Razina
On Sunday morning it was noticeable that the participants of the championship of Russia missed the race in just one day on shore. This became evident when the words of the Chairman of the race Committee Vladimir Butt about that today, judges do not see obstacles to the race, sparked a roar of approval the crowd in the tent boaters. Weather prevented the race on Saturday, the night blew completely, and a new wind in the South direction has not yet reached the predicted afternoon storm force. The race Committee had hoped to spend at least two races.
But – did not happen, the reality was even more severe than expected by pessimists. Already twenty minutes prior to the start procedure in the main judgment-the ship sounded the alarm cancelled races. “The wind increased to 26 knots, gusts to 30. The great wave, and boats can not cope with it. The wind increased suddenly. We thought that at least one race will be enough, but it did not. Now accompanied by the fleet in the Marina. In such critical conditions to continue the competition impossible. The regatta is over,” reported by radio the chief judge.
The racing program is 100% failed, and here on the coast everything went on as usual. In the evening, the championship was made up of colorful ceremony of awarding the winners – a bright point in a long series of commemorative events, which were accompanied by sailing races. It’s just behind – on the street – the wind and rain, cold autumn, and under the arches of a holiday tent – warm, bright light of spotlights and smiles of the audience here this evening boaters.
At the beginning of the ceremony, the riders were welcomed by the leaders of the Russian Association of class SB20 – President Ivan Gromov and Executive Director of Natalia Fedorova. Behind them on the stage stood, the judges, led by Mr Butt. All of them were awarded with memorable gifts and prizes from sponsors of the competition. And then was noted and the sponsors. This year the regatta was held with the support of companies “Mamalove”, “Framer”, TEGRUS and “Housewarming. City blocks”. Warm words were spoken also to the organizations, whose territory was based in the camp regatta – St. Petersburg River yacht club of trade unions and sailing club ZIGZAG.
Before awarding the participants of the championship were presented with a new prize – the challenge Cup champion, which will now be given each year to the winner of the national championship.
Team – every single one! – turns up on stage to receive his portion of the applause that was showered each other friends-rivals. Finally, the turn came to the podium. However, before the presentation of medals to the audience was in for another surprise: to congratulate the racers came one of the founders of the Association of SB20 in Russia Oleg Zherebtsov. Addressing the participants, he recalled how humbly began life class in our country: only five crews played between the first League title. Now the class is on the rise and as many as ten teams from Russia just a month to visit France, which will host the next world Cup.
So gradually, step by step, unnoticed evening reached its climax: on stage were the winners of the regatta. Medals for the third place was awarded to Alexei Semenov and his Portuguese crew – Hugo Rocha and Fran Palacio. Silver went to Vadim Pushevo, Ivan and Alexei Gromov Kolobanova. Winning prizes together with the coach and tactician of the team took the wards Artem Basalkina – Alexey Lesnikov, Jan Basalkina and Andrew Tukalov.
Well, the final chord of the festive evening was the presentation of medals of the championship of Russia. However, unlike the General classification was small: instead of the Portuguese team to the third step of a pedestal there ascended the sailing team Daniel Banana: Gregory Vasylkevych, Alexander Prokofiev and Gayane Konovalov. They were awarded with bronze medals of the championship of Russia-2019.
Congratulations to our best athletes!
Alexei Semenov RUS 3711, third place in the overall standings of the championship of Russia:
– Of course, I wanted to race more. Given that Saturday was in the plan lost, today it was perfectly tuned. To be honest came. But there are rules of the class, which marked where the wind can hold the race. Like the wind and was allowed to start, but if we talk about security… In France, if in such weather, the fleet still and kicked in the distance, nearby there are always boat safe. Not installers or Empire, namely accompanying the boat, controlling the safety of the riders, if at a distance, God forbid, something happens, immediately come to the rescue.
In this weather, ready to assume hard would Moscow flight crews who find themselves in the unusual conditions. The wind of such force there is, of course, happen, but this wave is almost there. As for those who train here, or, say, in Cascais, given how increased the overall level, I think, in General everyone was ready to race. We looked at the championship and as training. Especially when I realized that we are seriously underweight. World Cup hope to be at a normal weight. I think that all of the ten Russian teams in hyères should be in the top thirty. And then it will be a good gig. But we’ll see how things turn out.
Daniel Banan, RUS 3656, bronze medalist of the championship of Russia:
– Cancellation of races wasn’t a surprise to us. I am familiar with this area for quite some time, and looking at the forecasts and realized that the weather situation is quite natural. Saturday was strong and sane, stable West, and on Sunday he was replaced by gusty, squally South wind, which is really dangerous – I have had the opportunity to verify this on my own experience. Meanwhile, our third place I in any case would not be called “bronze without a fight” – still seven races behind! And in these races, we have gained in its place. On the whole, we showed good results – we have two second and one first arrivals. But a few times we made technical errors associated with the formulation of gennaker. In the end, three races scored 10-12 “extra” points.
As for the opportunity to start in this wind – we were ready for it. As in the whole championship: the season set up in the different conditions tested materiel to the competition adjusted weight “under six yellow buttons”. Therefore, in the boat, and in his team I was sure 100 percent. Bronze of the championship of Russia for us – a big step forward. Last year I completed the national championship in ninth place, and the guys who spoke with a different steering, one position below. And now together we have achieved such a high result. We are very happy!
Vadim Pusev, RUS 3730, silver medalist of the championship of Russia:
– Of course, yesterday and today we wanted to compete for first place. If there was another race, then after the second release we have with the leaders compared would glasses. And then we could just fight among themselves: who will come. We had planned to take start in front and keep the boat under control. But the wind has made adjustments. Nothing can be done – a very big gust and, in principle, the judges did the right thing, canceling the race. When the wind is under thirty knots, to race hard in any class of boat. If so inflated already during the race, nothing else, but start to give… especially since the forecast was for strengthening. It’s all an hour earlier than planned.
I believe that this championship, in addition, been very useful for those, who in October will travel to Hyeres at the world Cup. Moreover, in France such strong winds – around thirty knots – during races there quite often. It is very good that the competition was not the calm, and in such conditions. We are going to train in St. Petersburg “to stop” sometime before October 1.
Artem Bailkin, 3712 RUS, champion of Russia:
– Thank you for the congratulations! We are very happy with my performance at this regatta is a great race! The second day was difficult. But we defended their positions, kept the two points of a stock. Was ready to keep its main competitors, know who can and skip forward, given the tournament situation. In the seventh race, our closest rivals are not left there, and as a result we are a little away. Like many other teams, we approached this competition as a preparation for the forthcoming in October the world Cup. But to France we had planned to practice racing on the Black sea. For me it is important that our helmsman, Alex, got at least 10-12 hours of practice races to skill was higher. I in Sevastopol in the next two weeks will be to train the second and third part. Maybe Alex will come. And so, today, our next joint release is planned in France, where we arrive three days before the world Cup. Hyères will see some really strong Russian teams, among them Ginzburg, Semenov and Grigoriev, Posev we are. I think we all can be among the first fifteen. And, of course, will fight for the first place in the team standings!
The winners of the championship of Russia 2019:
1. RUS 3712 (Alexey of Foresters, Artem Bailkin, Jan Basalkina, Andrew Tokalov) – 13 points
2. ENG 3730 (Vadim Pusev, Ivan Gromov, Aleksei Kolobanov) – 15
3. RUS 3656 (Daniel Banan, Gregory Vasylkevych, Alexander Prokofiev, Gayane Konovalov) – 24